Friday, January 25, 2013


Summary &Response "Mother tongue"
                “Mother tongue” is the story about the writer realized that she was embarrassed by her mother’s English. Because her mother is Chinese, her English is always “broken”. But when the author talk with her mother, she might use same “ broken” English cause she was influenced by her mother. I think what she want to express is that language is just a tool for people to express their mind and thoughts.  When people use some languages that they are not familiar with to communicate with the others, it doesn’t matter that they are using wrong grammar or wrong structure, but they can still express their emotion and thoughts.
                As a international student studying in U.S. I identify Amy Tan ‘s story most. I was suffering same situation like her mother once. Before I came to U.S, I thought it must be hard to communicate with American people and make friends with them. However, it is not. Even though I don’t know how to describe some stuffs or I don’t know how to say something, only if I try, people will always what I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment